Wednesday 22 March 2017

Secretary Cabinet (Kreg Jig Project #6)

Hello!
We got a bit of snow last night - about 7 inches- and today was a snow day! (It was already a day off for the kids for March break and K had taken a vacay day, but I was supposed to work in Tyne Valley tonight.)


So, remember when I re-arranged the back room?
And the corner looked like this?
Well, that cabinet needed some work to be able to be hung on the wall.
First, there's no bottom. 

I got out the Kreg jig and joined together two boards.

They used to be one 8ft board that had hooks on it.  
I used the hooks in the front room lockers

After putting the boards together, I Kreg jigged them to the bottom of the cabinet.
I chose to put the darker stained side on the bottom since it matches the cabinet more than the lighter side and you'd be more likely to see it.  But this left all my joinery exposed on the inside of the cabinet.  I think I'll just get some shelf liner/pretty paper to put there.

Here's the view from underneath.
I never filled the holes from the hooks!

In order to attach the cabinet to the wall, I drilled holes in the back. 
Then, I screwed brackets to the wall, slipped the cabinet onto them and screwed the brackets to the cabinet.

And it's up!


Here it is all fixed up with the keyboard on the sewing machine table. 

Isn't it similar to the inspiration?
Although, I think that one's way smaller.

Here's what I have on the inside, for now. 

Before, I had blue paper lining the back to lighten it up. It seemed a little dark up there, so I lined the back with some plain paper. Here it is with everything back inside (in slightly different places!).

And with the doors closed. 

Enjoy your day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment